Finding a domestic helper in Mumbai might be a challenge but retaining one can be simple. Let me tell you how: Just use the many government schemes to support them in getting pension, healthcare and/or Insurance at a nominal cost. You anyways offer your domestic help increments and bonuses every year. Try and educate them about the benefits of using this excess income for these schemes. Let this be their full/part bonus, if they agree.
Let us for example, understand why healthcare insurance makes sense for you as well as your helper. Healthcare is so expensive that it often leads unskilled workers from poor families to debt. Health insurance can prevent this debt at a nominal cost. If you sponsor it, the cost to the you will be minimal when compared to the benefits it will offer you, including:
- Lesser need to extend loan: If the domestic staff has health cover for themselves and/or their family members, they will not ask you for loan for medical care. This ensures a respectful employment for both the sides
- Lesser need to extend leaves to arrange for loans from alternate sources: Again, a big benefit for you since every day of absence of maids in Mumbai can throw your life out of gear, especially if you are a working woman
- Retention of staff: By supporting and guiding the helpers in taking care of health related expenses you will surely earn their gratitude. By retaining the staff you do away with the need to spend time and mental peace on looking for, and then training, new staff
Some health-related schemes you could check out for your helpers are:
- RSBY or Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna: Annual premium of only Rs. 50 and is open to all citizens below the poverty line.
- Swavlamban: Offered by The New India Assurance Co Ltd, for a family with physically or mentally challenged members. The scheme offers a cover of 2 lakhs for a premium of Rs. 355 per annum. For details click New India
- Family Floater plans to cover all dependents: Some examples are Janata Mediclaim Policy and IFFCO-TOKIO Family Floater Plan