The Coronavirus Infection is also known as the “Wuhan pneumonia”, started off in Wuhan, a city in mainland China, during December 2019. It has now spread globally, with many countries restricting passage to people traveling from China. Wuhan city itself has become like a ghost town.
As of February 6, 2020, thousands have been admitted and quarantined in hospitals. However, coronavirus is airborne and that it can be transmitted between people. Therefore, we should stay vigilant about the spread of the disease.
Symptoms of Corona Virus Infection :
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), signs of Coronavirus infection include:
- Shortness of breath
- Breathing difficulties
The incubation period of the coronavirus could be between 10 to 14 days. Severe cases of Corona Virus lead to pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and even death. Till February 6 there have been more than 500 reported cases of deaths by the virus. Given the severity of the infection, it is important to know how we can prevent getting infected.
Preventing Corona Virus
We can take some very simple precautions to reduce exposure to and transmission of the virus. WHO advises that everyone should:
- Frequently wash hands warm water and soap or use a disinfectant
- Cover their mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing
- Dispose of used tissues into a covered bin and wash hands well
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has a fever or cough
- Seek early medical help if you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing
- If sick, share their travel history with healthcare providers
- Avoid direct, unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals. This includes avoiding live poultry markets or farms
- Avoid raw or undercooked animal products
- Be careful when handling raw meat, milk or animal organs to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked food
- If having respiratory symptoms, wear a surgical mask, refrain from meeting people and seek medical advice
- Avoid crowded places
- Avoid close contact with persons with fever or respiratory symptoms;
- Avoid visiting hospitals
The above will not only keep you safe but also contain the spread of infections. Together we can fight this. Real-time updates on Corona Virus infections can be checked here