Already stressed enough by other aspects of our lives, it’s a relief to have help around the house for Domestic Helper & chores. Housework inevitably takes up a lot of time and energy, which can otherwise be utilized to get important tasks done or enjoy quality time with loved ones. But as we know, finding maids in Mumbai is a task, and vetting one an even bigger task.
Let’s take a look at a few general ones should keep in mind when going through housekeeper job profiles or hiring housemaids through an agency:
• Conduct a thorough background check. Take her address, contact numbers and a passport size photograph.
• Confirm the amount that needs to be paid at the end of every month and lay ground rules about taking leave. Clearing financial matters at the beginning of the housekeeper hiring process ensure transparent payment terms.
• Have a scheduled meeting with your maid. Discuss her concerns, share suggestions, ask questions, etc. Decide if the working relationship is acceptable to both parties: if so, continue the working arrangement; if not, end the working arrangement in favor of finding a better fit elsewhere.
• Ask for references to ensure that the maid doesn’t have a questionable past. It is advisable to do a criminal check. Ask for her identity proof and register her at the police station. This ensures your safety.
• Inquire if your help has insurance as it is essential if she injures herself while engaged at your workplace.
• Since the maid will be frequenting the house, she should be fit for work and have no illnesses or health issues. An early general health check-up is advisable.
• Make sure you do not employ underage maids just to cut down on costs. Child labour is a crime, and there can be consequences if something goes wrong.
If the housemaid is educated enough and has a good rapport with your child, you can also offer her a babysitting job. She can not only help you with housework but can also take care of your kid if you are busy. Create a rapport with your housemaid and treat her nicely. It’s always nice to give her a pat on the back if she does something out of the ordinary; everyone likes being appreciated.
The background check is probably the most important thing you can do initially, as that gives you a lot of information about the prospective help.
Helper4u.in, an online database can be used to find maids in Mumbai, and also offers background checks as a service for an extra charge of Rs. 300 – Rs. 4000 – depending on some factors. You can refer to this link for more details – Background Verification: Better Safe Than Sorry